How to understand and communicate people's needs and behaviours?
Summaries and Questions
Observing participants in their own environment performing their actual work.
- Conducting Contextual Enquiry (or Site Visits)
- Contextual Inquiry - A Primer
- Field Research in Commercial Product Development (PDF)
- Focus Questions for Site Visits
A simple tool to better understand people using a product or service.
- Agile Coaching Tip: What Is an Empathy Map?
- Empathy Maps for UX
- How To Use Empathy Maps To Make Better Services
- Updated Empathy Map Canvas
A conversation where an interviewer asks a series of questions to one or more interviewees.
- Asking the right questions during user research, interviews and testing
- How to Make User Research a Conversation
- Interviewing Humans
- Never Ask What They Want — 3 Better Questions to Ask in User Interviews
- User Interviews: How, When, and Why to Conduct Them
- When Interviews Go Wrong
An approach to task analysis that is inspired by Jobs To Be Done.
- 5 Tips For Writing A Job Story
- Designing Features Using Job Stories
- Job stories are great, but personas aren't dead
Hypothetical persons, where each one represents a specific type of user.
- Assumptive Personas
- Boost Empathy Quickly With Proto-Personas
- The UX Designer’s 5-Minute Guide to Lean Personas
- Using Proto-Personas for Executive Alignment
A data collection tool to gather responses to a series of questions.
- 8 Research Based Insights for User Experience Surveys
- Preparing an Online Questionnaire - How to Conduct an Online Survey
- What Is a Survey - Booklet
Task analysis is the decomposition of how tasks are currently performed.
- Hierarchical Task Analysis
- Task Analysis: The Key UX Design Step Everyone Skips
- Task Analysis - Hierarchical, If/Then, and Model-Based
- Uncovering True Motivation: The Whys and Wherefore
The process of learning about the audience for your system or product.
- Communicating User Research Findings
- Doing Research with People Who Are Not Users: Consultation
- From Research Goals to Usability-Testing Scenarios: A 7-Step Method
- How to get participants for your user research
- One page user research plan
- Step By Step Guide To More Structured User Research
- The two questions we answer with user research
- Quantitative User-Research Methodologies: An Overview
- UIETips: Three Questions You Shouldn't Ask During User Research
- UX Research Cheat Sheet
- When to Use Which User-Experience Research Methods